Who doesn’t love the amazing colors of beautiful summer-blooming flowers! It’s certainly something well worth looking forward to when we are in the throes of the long cold winter months. In the blink of an eye, winter will soon be over and summer blooming flowering bulbs such as dahlias, tuberous begonias, canna lilies, and gladiolus can be planted in the spring safely, once after any danger of frost has passed.
The general rule of thumb is, dig a hole 2-3x deeper than the bulb is tall. So for a 3-inch-tall bulb, dig your hole 6-9 inches deep. There are some exceptions; check the planting directions that come with the bulbs.
Easy Care Tips
- Water when necessary to keep soil moist, but not soaking wet.
- Be aware of any soil disturbance, as this can be indicative of the bulbs being dug up by animals such as squirrels, chipmunks or rabbits.
- Keep the bed tidy and weed the bulb bed frequently so the weeds don’t crowd out the bulbs.
- You may need to provide support and stake tall, top-heavy to keep them from falling over from the weight of the flowers.
- Remove spent blooms to encourage flowers to continue blooming.
Most bulbs are relatively are easy to maintain during the growing season, so enjoy!
Mountain Road Landscaping offers a range of services to our customers after we have completed the design and installation of their dream outdoor living spaces throughout the Lehigh Valley and Pocono area.
Pocono Mountains: (570) 350-6408
Lehigh Valley: (610) 428-4102
Residential and Commercial
Landscaping and Hardscaping Design & Installation Services